Monday, November 29, 2010

The 4-Hour Workweek - Chapter 4 Comfort Challenge: Learn to Eye Gaze

I'm currently in the middle of reading The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss.  So far it's good, but mostly just mental preparation and not much useful skills yet.  I'm trying to do each of the recommended activities so I can get the most out of the book.

Chapter 4's comfort challenge is to learn to eye gaze.  Basically I had to "practice gazing into the eyes of others."  This is the end of the second day of this challenge and I learned more than I expected I would.

Lessons Learned
  • A lot of people don't make eye contact.  Most service people such as your grocery cashier don't make eye contact.  I tried to catch the gaze of one cashier and I couldn't grab it until she handed me the receipt.
  • I don't do well at eye contact.  I tend to stare off at nothing.
  • One of two things is true.  1) People are nicer to you when you make eye contact.  Or 2) you are nicer to people when you make eye contact.  I found that strangers and coworkers were more friendly when I made eye contact.  It might be because I act nicer when I'm looking directly at someone so they are nicer back.  I'm not sure where the friendliness originates, but it's definitely there.
Based on this quick experiment, I'd like to continue working on my eye contact.  I think it will help me build stronger relationships more quickly.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment